Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Being on the Right Side of History

     Is the picture big enough?  I was having some trouble trying to find the best picture for today's blog entry.  This one seemed fitting, as it sends a clear and concise message.  I believe that if one seeks truth sincerely, they will find it.  In many cases, it doesn't take much seeking - the truth is right under our noses. 

"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary Cooper." 
--Gary Cooper on his decision not to take the leading role in "Gone With The Wind."  

     "Hindsight is 20/20"... We have all heard that before.  However, I would prefer NOT to wait for truth to be in my rearveiw mirror before I recognize it as such.  Unfortunately, that is how many of us operate.  What is worse is when we realize we were wrong on some issue for so long and yet still refuse to change our stance. It may be fears or peer pressures. Maybe something darker...  
     If one is (1) willing to do a little homework, and (2) ready to be intellectually honest, he or she would discover that our own nation - the tall and proud U.S. of A. - has been on the wrong side of issues throughout  its existence.  Even when the truth smacks this nation in the face, we as citizens fight it as if truth is yanking our teeth out with pliers!  We round Japanese Americans in concentration camps out of fear. It wasn't until 1988 that our nation publicly declared it "wrong".  How about slavery?  Enough said.  We had discovered that Prohibition was not the answer.  Trail of Tears.  The Gulf of Tonkin incident.  Must I continue? 
     In previous blog entries, I had discussed the outright travesties by our own nation in regards to cannabis. I urge you to read my articles entitled "DuPont hates Cannabis" Parts 1-3.  I believe that if you and I are willing to educate ourselves and those in our circles of influence, we will see America get on the right side of history in regards to cannabis.  I mean, it certainly wouldn't be the first time America has been wrong.  I challenge you with this: 
1. Share this blog.  I mention this blog in discussions I have with people all the time. Certainly it helps when it's MY blog, but I am passionate about the truth.  Please join me in that passion.
2. Do your homework.  Challenge what you have been taught.  The Internet can be a great tool in discovering truth. Cross-reference sources - do not rely on only one source, even if I am that one source.
3. Be prepared to stand when confronted with opposition.  If you are new to the "world of cannabis", do not feel overwhelmed - take it one bite at a time.  If someone challenges you with their own "facts", don't let the pressure force you into a quick, sloppy answer. Let them know that you will come back to them and resort back to my second point.

No comments:

Post a Comment