Friday, October 14, 2011

Does Cannabis Make You Stupid?

     I came across this article this week and knew that I had to share it on my blog.  I normally try to write my own articles on here but couldn't improve on what Jonah Lehrer says in his blog.  *Click here for a direct link to the article in reference.*  His article sheds some light on the myth that "marijuana use = stupidity".  I will say this: I have come across people who tell me "all the people I know who use marijuana are unproductive in their lives."  I feel like telling them that they don't get out much.  Should I mention to them that I know plenty of people personally who do not use cannabis and in my own opinion are unproductive as well?  Since we are judging other people's successes and failures, did smoking cannabis in office affect the productivity of Abraham Lincoln?  Let me guess... he wouldn't have been assassinated, right? (I'm being facetious, people!)  Who decides what is unproductive for another man?  Also, why assume that cannabis is the reason for the "lack of production" in their lives?
     When everything is taken into perspective, one can see that the prohibition of cannabis has been the biggest danger of its use.  Prior to the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937, cannabis was used on all levels of society - recreationally, medicinally, and industrially (is "industrially" a word?).  Once it was prohibited, use was restricted to only those willing to break the law - which is why prohibition never works!  Prohibition of cannabis created a subculture of "pot smokers" that became a bane to society in the minds of most who did not know the suppressed history of the plant.  It certainly didn't help that cannabis was given a bad name by government-sponsored media outlets (think "Reefer Madness").
     With the advent of state-sanctioned medical marijuana we are beginning to see a return to normalcy when it comes to society's acceptance of cannabis.  I say "beginning" because cannabis still has a long way to go before it becomes mainstream.  That is precisely why I created this blog.  Those that know the truth have an obligation to stand for it.  Please join with me by sharing this blog with people who do not understand the history, the cover-ups, the scientific discoveries, and the medical benefits of cannabis.

2 comments:

  1. "Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica." - Abraham Lincoln (from a letter written by Lincoln during his presidency to the head of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I failed to include in my article that cannabis use is dangerous to the user in that he or she risks prosecution and or job loss... I implied it by saying that prohibition is why it is dangerous but I did not draw the direct link... So, there you go.

    ReplyDelete